Friday, December 30, 2011

Reading Challenge

So, I am going to officially sign up for the Fiftyfifty.me challenge. It will be a challenge as I generally only read 25 to 30 books a year, and that includes some graphic novels and YA books I read with my kids. Haven't done much rereading lately though, so I'll just have to pick up my pace to hit the fifty mark.

I don't think I am going to pick a major, however, unless the pile of books at the side of my bed/on my nightstand counts as a major. My wife swears one of these days the pile is going to tip over and crush me in my sleep. I've already set a goal to read more Pulitzer winners or finalists, as well as Hugo, Nebula, and Campbell nominated works on the science fiction front. I guess it doesn't make sense to have minors without a major, so I'll just call this a theme. Or maybe award nominated works taken together can just count as a major. At any rate, I will be trying to keep the YA books and graphic novels to 20% (10 of 50) at most of my reading. Just a benchmark to make sure I get to the other books I want to read.

The 50 movies should be easier. We already do a family movie night (almost) every week. Of course, family movie night often includes family favorites I've seen before, or TV on DVD, so I may need to tweak it a bit. All in all, should be fun.


2 comments:

  1. welcome to fiftyfifty.me! we're looking forward to seeing your list of books (i've heard the truman biography is a quick read, but if you took Presidents on as a theme, that would be AMBITIOUS!)

    love that you do a family movie night- i'm thinking of using that up as a way to see my parents regularly... and i'm in my 30's ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! Movies definitely equal bonding time in our family, both with my parents and my kids. It's going to take some work to convince the kids to not pick the same cartoon movies over and over again.

    ReplyDelete