Saturday, February 18, 2012

Book 7

I took a break from reading Touching the Void, one of the books I picked up as a secret recommendation from my friends on Goodreads. I read another of my daughter's books she had to read for Battle of the Books at her elementary school called Strider, by Beverly Cleary. I had never heard of this book, although I remember Cleary quite well as an author we frequently read in grade school. It is apparently a sequel to Dear Mr. Henshaw, another book I've never heard of. But I have fond memories of Cleary books, so I gave it a chance.

The book did not live up to my memories of the author's other works. It was well written, with well drawn characters. And it had a dog, so bonus points there. But for a coming of age story, I didn't feel much of a struggle taking place. It seemed pretty uneventful, and frankly, slow. Even for a children's book.

My daughter seemed to like it. She found it interesting that it was written as journal entries, rather than as traditional chapters. So if nothing else, it has introduced her to a slightly different kind of narrative. She enjoyed discovering that stories can be told in different ways. So it may not have been my favorite Cleary book, but it was a success if the book expanded my daughter's literary horizons in whatever small way.


No comments:

Post a Comment