Monday, June 11, 2012

Book 16

I think I have mentioned before that I have a slightly uncontrollable library habit. I often have more books checked out than I can possibly read in the renewal period the library allows. But what really made me realize it was out of control was when the librarians not only knew when I had items on hold before checking my library card, but also recognized my voice on the phone when I called in about renewing a book one day. I guess I am lucky the library has such a friendly staff.  (Really, it's the Merrimack Public Library in NH. They are great!)

So let's just say I frequent the library a lot. And despite already having a to-read list that will take me at least a decade to complete, I always check out the "New Books" shelves when I am there. You never know what will catch your eye. This is how I found my 16th book, How to Build a Time Machine: The Real Science of Time Travel, by Brian Clegg.

I have found that a residual impact of having studied physics in college (and then never using it again) is an interest in popular science books. I especially enjoy end-of-the-world physics (see Death from the Skies, by Philip Plait) or impossible physics (see Physics of the Impossible, by Michio Kaku). So when I saw a science book on time travel, I had to grab it.

The book discusses theoretically valid time travel possibilities, along with some background on relevant scientists pursuing these methods, which I liked. As expected, time travel paradoxes are also introduced. And I enjoyed those, even if it wasn't that original. But I found the actual time travel science discussion to be a little lacking. I didn't expect it to be like a text book, after all this is a pop science book on some pretty far out theories. But I was expecting at least some explanation of the physics underlying the theory. I actually grew bored with the book because there wasn't enough science in it.

So this is not one I'd recommend. If you want to try a pop science book, pick one of the above, or Hawking's A Brief History of Time. Or if you want something with a gimmick, go for How to Teach Physics to Your Dog, by Chad Orzel. These all made me feel like I actually learned something when I finished reading them. I did not get that feeling when I finished How to Build a Time Machine, no matter how interested I initially was in the subject.

No comments:

Post a Comment