Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Book 10

This weekend I finished the second book I picked based on ratings from my Goodreads friends: The Power and the Glory rated five stars by my brother. I have to admit, Graham Greene could write. And this is far and away the best of his I've read, although that is a small sample size.

The author has drawn a remarkable character in the whiskey priest. A man torn between his duty and his human weakness. As the story went on, I found myself caught up in the priest's struggle. I was engrossed in his plight right up to the bitter end, to see if he found some measure of redemption.

Greene has created a good setting as well. I found the historical Mexican backdrop interesting, even if it made me realize how ignorant I am about this "redshirt" period. Overall, a great story.

One thing that I found surprising was that I struggled at first to get into the book. As I mentioned, Greene was a good writer. But he was British, and wrote this many decades ago, in the 30's. I didn't think that would be a big deal. After all, I've read history books that were from the 1910's. Perhaps fiction is different. I have read some 19th century literature, Jane Austen and Wilkie Collins and such, but that was back in college. Whatever the reason, the differences of time and geography made a bridge I had to work at to cross.

So in the end, a worthwhile read, even if it took more effort to get through than anticipated.


Is it bad that when I hear the phrase "The power and the glory" instead of hearing hymns of praise I hear Rush's "The Big Money" in my head?

No comments:

Post a Comment