Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Movie 23

Our Family Movie Night Pick this weekend was Zookeeper, a talking animals movie starring Kevin James. My wife saw it in the Redbox and figured the kids would like it. I'm a casual Kevin James fan at best, and I'm leery of the talking animals gimmick, so I wasn't expecting much. But I have to admit I enjoyed the movie, and even laughed a few times.

I'm not saying the movie is danger of winning any awards, but it was a fun, silly, family movie. James was good in his comic role. The animal voices were done well, too, although I'd still call it gimmicky. The romantic comedy plot was predictable at best, but the cast carried the show. I thought Joe Rogan, or "the Fear Factor guy" as my wife called him, was especially well cast as James' rival. Rosario Dawson, Donnie Wahlberg, and Ken Jeong were also all bright spots as the coworkers.

Like I say, it was a silly movie hanging its hat on a gimmick, but I'm not above saying I cracked a few smiles. Not bad for a Sunday evening family flick.

No comments:

Post a Comment