Tuesday, January 3, 2012

First Book and Movies down

It was good to have yesterday off. I finished The Hunger Games and watched Inception and Knight and Day. One down for the books, two down for the movies. Not a bad start for being just a couple days into it.

I really enjoyed The Hunger Games, just as my wife said I would. I rated it 5 stars on Goodreads since the whole family liked it so much. The action really moves along and I was impressed with Suzanne Collins's world building. Some of the plot points may not have been original, but the author did a great job with the details, letting the reader feel the Capitol's oppression beyond just the games. I found it very compelling.

Inception is a movie I can't believe I haven't watched yet. We've even checked it out of the library before. So it was perfect for the fiftyfifty challenge. Beautiful movie, fun action, and it makes you think. May have been a mistake to watch it with the little kids, as they had trouble following along, but a good family movie night anyway. A friend of mine said it would have been even better if they made two movies out of it: Extraction and then Inception. I figure they did a good job if they left me wanting more.

My wife and I watched Knight and Day before turning in last night. I am not a Tom Cruise fan, and while I don't mind Cameron Diaz, I've never said, "Wow, Cameron Diaz is in that, let's go see it." But Knight and Day turned out to be an enjoyable, if mindless, thriller. Good movie to shut my brain off to before I fell asleep.

All in all, a good start to the challenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment