Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Movies 6 and 7

On MLK weekend, I watched a couple of movies with the family, Transformers: Dark of the Moon and Sherlock Holmes.

The boys wanted to watch Transformers for family movie night. I'd heard it was an improvement over the last installment so I figured, why not? After watching it, I guess "improvement" means those people like Rosie Huntington-Whiteley better than Megan Fox. Apparently, I am not a Michael Bay fan. Shiny robots and explosions just don't cut it. Every time there was a scene, scratch that, every time there was even a shot that might have added to the plot and/or character development, it was ended too quickly and there was a fast cut to something exploding. A nice big explosion, sure, but enough already.

Perhaps my biggest complaint was other than Optimus Prime, you can't tell the transformers apart when they are in robot form. So lots of fighting, but who are we rooting for? And what's with the drawn out shots of the convoy going to the launching pad, or the paratroopers flying through the air after jumping out of a plane? The scene I thought had potential, Epps reaching out to old comrades to join the mission, was cut into a quick montage. Okay, so now I'm over thinking what is essentially an explody action movie, but I still say it could have been so much more.

Onto Sherlock Holmes. Since the sequel is now in theaters, my wife has been reminding me she's been wanting to see the 2009 film since it came out. Turns out the kids wanted to see it, too. Fortunately, it was at the library. I don't think I was expecting much, but I actually enjoyd it.

The movie certainly played up Holmes' cynical, antisocial side. I'm no Holmes expert, but this almost seemed over the top to me. But Robert Downey, Jr. and Jude Law carried off the parts of Holmes and Watson quite well. They made the movie. The supporting cast wasn't bad either. I'm not surprised they made a sequel.

No comments:

Post a Comment