Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Movie 12

A few weeks ago, while channel surfing, I came across a Liam Neeson movie on a cable channel. I missed the beginning, so I didn't watch more than a couple of minutes. But when I heard Neeson tell the guy on the other end of a cell phone to let his daughter go or he would find the guy and kill him, I was hooked. I thought it looked good and was one my wife would tolerate, so when I saw Taken, the movie in question, at the library, I picked it up.

Neeson seems to be getting some questions lately with his new movie The Grey in theaters. Is he really an action star? Is he making so many mediocre movies as a way to cope with his wife's death? Well, I'm a Liam Neeson fan and I liked Taken. And I wouldn't mind watching The Grey either, even if the experts don't like the way the wolves are portrayed. Neeson says the wolves are out to get him, who am I to argue?

Taken was a good action flick, heavy on the fighting, but refreshingly light on unexplainable, large explosions. Certainly not a feel good movie. Sure the hero is out to rescue his daughter from the human traffickers, but what about the approximately 100 other young women he ran across and couldn't help. I tried not to think about that part, too depressing. And apparently everyone in France needed to be beat up and/or killed along the way, but I expected that from this kind of movie. Maybe my expectations were set low, but if you like the lead actor, you could do worse than this movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment